Newtown Community & Cultural Centre Redevelopment
The main features of this re-development included:
- retaining the buildings heritage features as noted
- major internal demolition (excluding theatre, and retaining much of the external walls and roof)
- removal of asbestos containing material
- structural strengthening
- a new – lowered – Level 1 floor to improve headroom on Level 1
- a new entrance from Colombo Street and lobby area
- installation of a lift to Level 1
- upgraded theatre systems infrastructure and provision for rigging of theatre grid trusses
- external landscaping improvements, and
- a completely new fit-out including foyer, offices, seminar room, projection room, assembly hall, kitchen, and toilet facilities.
The building has a Historic Place Category 2 rating with Heritage NZ (ref 3597) and is a listed Heritage Building in the Wellington City District Plan
The community was involved at the conception stage where there was community meetings held with the design team to discuss what the centre will have and involve including design needs. The centre was blessed at the completion with a dawn ceremony with community members and project team.
This was a challenging project due to its historic and heritage aspect which brought up many challenges and design changes.