Countdown Waiata Shores Stage 2&3
Project NameCountdown Waiata Shores Stage 2&3
ClientGeneral Distributors Limited
The new 4,200sqm store is filled with environmentally conscious and future-focussed features, it is also Tamaki Makaurau’s first ever Green Star accredited supermarket.
Waiata Shores is Countdown’s second ever Green Star store. Countdown opened New Zealand’s first Green Star supermarket in Richmond in June 2021.
Countdown is working to achieve a 4 Green Star design and as-built rating for all of its new property developments, and a 5 Green Star minimum standard by 2025. Meeting this goal will significantly contribute to Countdown’s goal to reduce its carbon emissions by 63 per cent by 2030 versus its 2015 baseline.
Some of the emissions, water, paper and energy saving features in the new store include:
- Solar panels to generate 10-15% of the store’s total energy
- Transcritical refrigeration systems that use natural refrigerant gases
- LED lighting which is 35% more efficient than traditional lighting
- Water-saving taps to reduce water use
- An Energy Management System, which provides regular updates on store energy and water use
- Doors on fridges and freezers to reduce energy use. Every 10 doors saves enough energy to power a NZ home for a year.
- Digital shelf labels to reduce paper use
- EV chargers for customer cars
- More bike parks linked with local cycleways to help encourage biking and reduce short car trips to the supermarket.
The new Countdown Waiata Shores has created around 100 new jobs for locals and also includes a Drive-Up option for online order pick up, an in-store Countdown Pharmacy, an extensive range of fresh produce, and an in-store bakery, deli and Cellar.